How to Setup Brother Printer on a Wireless Network?
- Mr. Ryan
- on Sep 20, 2023
Overview: This blog will walk you through the essential steps for the Brother Printer WiFi setup, ensuring a seamless transition to wireless printing in both home and professional environments
Brother printers are renowned for their reliability and advanced features, making them a top choice for both home and office environments. A significant advantage of these printers is their wireless functionality, which offers users the convenience of printing from any corner of their space without the hassle of tangled wires. While straightforward, the Brother Printer WiFi setup can pose questions for those unfamiliar with the process. This blog aims to demystify the steps, ensuring you get your device up and running wirelessly in no time. Let’s explore how to maximize your Brother Printer’s wireless capabilities.
Before going through the Brother printer setup process, we have a user query on the same; let’s proceed to this first:
I’ve just added a Brother printer to my workspace and am keen to harness its wireless capabilities. Navigating tech isn’t my strong suit; I could use some assistance. Could someone walk me through how to set up Brother printer WiFi? I’m aiming for a hassle-free and clear experience. Much appreciated! – James
- 1 Steps to Follow Before Brother Printer WiFi Setup
- 2 Additional Point on WEP Encryption
- 3 Steps for Brother Printer WiFi Setup
- 3.1 Step 1: Prepare the Printer
- 3.2 Step 2: Access Printer Menu
- 3.3 Step 3: Connect to WiFi:
- 3.4 Step 4: Print a Test Page (Optional)
- 3.5 Step 5: Install Brother Printer Drivers
- 3.6 Step 6: Add your Printer to the Computer
- 4 Things to be Ensure While Brother Printer WiFi Setup
- 5 Conclusion
- 6 FAQs
- 7 Q: What must I prepare before starting the Brother Printer WiFi setup?
- 8 Q: Why isn’t my printer connecting during setting up the Brother Printer wireless process?
- 9 Q: Can I set up the Brother Printer WiFi for mobile devices?
Steps to Follow Before Brother Printer WiFi Setup
Before diving into the Brother wireless printer setup, you must first identify the crucial wireless network settings of your access point or wireless router.
Details You Need
- Network Name: Often called “SSID” or “ESSID”.
- Network Key: Sometimes labeled as “Security Key“, “Password“, or “Encryption Key”.
Finding the Details
- Inspect the side or bottom of your wireless router or access point.
- If you can’t find it, refer to the device’s documentation or user manual.
Note on Manufacturer Details
- Brother does not provide these details. They pertain to your internet service.
- If you can’t find the network details on your device, contact the device’s manufacturer or your internet service provider.
Additional Point on WEP Encryption
Record only the first WEP key if your router uses WEP encryption with multiple WEP keys.
Once you’ve collected the necessary information, you can connect your Brother printer to your WiFi network.
Steps for Brother Printer WiFi Setup
Setting up a Brother printer on a WiFi network involves connecting the printer to your WiFi network so you can print wirelessly from any device connected to the same network. The exact steps can vary depending on the printer model and your network setup, but here’s a general step-by-step guide that helps you to set up Brother printer WiFi easily:
Step 1: Prepare the Printer
- Ensure your Brother printer is connected to power and activated.
- Check that the printer has ink or toner and that there’s paper loaded.
Step 2: Access Printer Menu
- Firstly, navigate to the printer’s control panel.
- Secondly, find the ‘Menu’ or ‘Settings’
- Navigate to ‘Network’ or ‘Network Settings’.
- Select ‘WLAN’ or ‘WiFi’, then choose ‘Setup Wizard’ or a similar option.
Step 3: Connect to WiFi:
- The printer should start searching for available networks.
- Once your WiFi network is listed, select it.
- If prompted, use the printer’s control panel to enter the WiFi password (the network key).
- Verify the configurations and permit the printer to establish a connection A successful connection message or a WiFi icon should appear once connected.
Step 4: Print a Test Page (Optional)
Consider printing a test page to ensure the setup succeeds and the printer can communicate with the network.
Step 5: Install Brother Printer Drivers
It is necessary for Brother Printer WiFi Setup, as the drivers are the most essential part of running the printing process on any printer. Given are the two approaches for installing the Brother printer drivers. These are the following:
Approach 1: Installing Brother Printer Driver from the Website
This section demonstrates how to download the printer drivers from the Brother official website to ensure the complete Brother printer WiFi setup. The following are the steps:
- Firstly, launch your web browser on your computer.
- Then, navigate directly to Brother’s official website: brother.com.
- Once there, locate and click the “Support” or “Downloads”
- After that, enter your specific Brother printer model in the provided search
- From the search results, click on your printer’s model.
- Choose your computer’s operating system from the provided dropdown or list.
- Download the recommended driver software for your printer and operating system.
- Once downloaded, open the installation file and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.
Approach 2: Installing Brother Printer Driver with the CD
This approach includes an installation CD that comes with the Brother printer box. This installation CD helps you to complete the Brother Printer WiFi Setup by installing the drivers in the computer. So, go with the following steps:
- Insert the Brother installation CD into your computer’s CD/DVD drive.
- If it doesn’t auto-start, navigate to your computer’s drive section and double-click on the Brother CD drive.
- An installation window should pop up. Click “Install” or “Setup” to initiate the process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions, ensuring you select the correct printer model and your computer’s operating system when prompted.
- Once the installation process is complete, restart your computer if necessary.
Step 6: Add your Printer to the Computer
After installing the Brother Printer Drivers, the last step for completing the Brother Printer WiFi Setup is adding the printer to the computer. In this step, we will add the Brother Printer with the following steps:
- Go to Settings and then choose Devices.
- Click on Printers & scanners.
- Click on ‘Add a printer or scanner‘.
- Windows will search for available printers. Choose your Brother printer from the list and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Go to Apple Menu.
- Choose System Preferences and then Printers & Scanners.
- Click the ‘+‘ button and add a new printer.
- Select your Brother printer from the list and click ‘Add’.
Things to be Ensure While Brother Printer WiFi Setup
When setting up a Brother printer or, in fact, any printer, there are several considerations to keep in mind to ensure a smooth setup and secure functioning. Following are some things you must be aware of:
- Ensure the printer is placed in a stable, well-ventilated area, away from direct sunlight or heat sources.
- When connecting the printer to WiFi, ensure you use a secure and correct network to prevent security risks.
- Always download printer drivers from the official Brother website or trusted sources to avoid harmful software.
- Connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet is best, ensuring a consistent power supply.
- Double-check that the printer is compatible with your computer or device’s operating system and version.
- Handle ink or toner cartridges carefully, avoiding shaking or touching sensitive parts.
- Some printers require an initial setup or alignment page; don’t skip this, as it ensures optimal print quality.
- Keep the printer close to the router for a robust wireless connection during setup. You can move it to its desired location afterward.
- If there’s an account set up for cloud features, use strong passwords and be mindful of privacy settings.
- Review and adjust default settings on your printer, like print quality or duplex settings, to fit your needs.
- A stable internet connection is crucial if your printer requires a firmware update upon setup.
- After initial setup, if the printer allows, create a backup of your settings, which can be helpful for future resets.
- Physically inspect the printer for any damages or broken components, especially if shipped.
- Properly load paper, ensuring it’s free of wrinkles or tears, and is the right size and type for your printer.
Navigating the Brother Printer WiFi setup can significantly streamline your daily tasks, ensuring efficient and hassle-free printing. Following the outlined steps, you’ll easily transition to wireless printing. If you encounter any challenges or need further clarification on the Brother Printer WiFi setup, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re here to help!
Q: What must I prepare before starting the Brother Printer WiFi setup?
A: Before starting the setup, ensure you have your WiFi network name (SSID) and password. Also, your printer should be near your router during the initial setup for a stable connection.
Q: Why isn’t my printer connecting during setting up the Brother Printer wireless process?
A: Several factors can influence this. Check if your printer and router are powered on and ensure you’re entering the correct WiFi credentials. If the issue persists, consider restarting both the printer and the router.
Q: Can I set up the Brother Printer WiFi for mobile devices?
A: Absolutely! Brother offers the iPrint&Scan app, which facilitates printing from and scanning to mobile devices once you’ve set up the WiFi connection on your printer. Ensure your mobile device is connected to the same network as the printer.